Walsham-le-Willows Sports Club is situated in Summer Road a quarter of a mile from the “Church / Six Bells” cross roads on the left hand side of the road. The meadow has been the home of the village football and cricket teams going back to the late 1800’s and the old pavilion still survives on the far side of the ground. This originally had a thatched roof and water was carried across to it in a bucket before the luxury of a two wheeled, hand water cart could be pulled across by the players. With no electricity in the original building changing could be very hazardous on a cold December or January afternoon. During the war the field was ploughed up to provde land suitable to grow food on and it was not until 1951 that sport was played once again on the current ground. The installation of Calor Gas for lighting and a Calor Gas boiler for tea making improved the facilities for everyone. The old pavilion was the envy of many of the surrounding villages as most other clubs would have to change in their cars etc. for football or cricket.
Over the years Walsham Sports Club were always prepared to develop and improve the facilities, with the new pavilion being built in 1973. During the years the pavilion has increased in size and improved its facilities. One of the first major projects for the new pavilion was the introduction of a small bar, the bar has since been moved twice over the years to make it bigger and better for the members benefit. Apart from the bar other extensions have taken place over the years, making the club larger by increasing the size of the bar area, the main club room and the extensions to cater for two full size snooker tables. Extensions are still taking place with the addition in 2006 of new and more modern changing rooms to allow Walsham Sports Club to participate at the curent level. With the latest extension ongoing, people are encouraged to purchase a brass plaque and have their name put on it for £25 and it is then fixed to a brick in the pavilion and is there forever so people can see who has supported the latest extension.
The Sports Club welcomes new members and is also available for private parties, social functions etc. and is available for hire for local companies. There is also a small room available for committee meetings etc. and this is available to all village organisations free of charge. Get in touch with any member of the sports club who would be available to show potential users around. For further information on booking the Sports Club for a function or on how to become a member please telephone, Chairman Mr. John Holden on 01359 2589130 or, Secretary Mr. Gordon Ross on 01359 259474.